Communauté rurale de Cocagne
One Page Action Summary
The Wellness Movement is pleased to recognize the Communauté rurale de Cocagne for their leadership and commitment in becoming an Age-Friendly Community (AFC) where seniors are supported to thrive. Here are the steps the Communauté rurale de Cocagne took to become recognized as an Age-Friendly Community, categorized under the 4 basic steps of the World Health Organization (WHO):
- Secure community commitment by having the municipality, rural community or local service district (LSD) officially commit to the AFC approach.
- Age-Friendly Community initiative approved by Municipality in June 2015.
- Establish an Age-Friendly Steering Committee and find support in order to actively engage the community and in particular seniors.
- An Age-Friendly Steering Committee was formed in 2015.
- Conduct an age-friendly assessment in consultation with the community and seniors.
- Development of 50+ de Cocagne bilingual survey.
- Volunteer distribution of the Cocagne 50+ survey/needs assessment.
- Université de Moncton compiles surveys and results, December 2015-January 2016.
- Establish a comprehensive action plan, including measures, that responds to the needs identified by seniors in the community.
- Finalization of plan and prioritization of areas of action.
- Public presentation of the results of the 50+ de Cocagne survey in June 2016.
- Action Plan
- 4 priority areas selected for action in September 2016:
- Outdoor Spaces and Buildings
- Physical activities for active aging
- More benches for pedestrian areas
- Better diffusion of information
- Social Inclusion
- More community activities
- Intergenerational social participation
- Affordable Housing
- Looking at why people can no longer live at home
- What housing options are available for seniors
- Resolution of adoption of the action plan by the Municipal Council.
- Rendez-vous mieux-être Cocagne.
- Formation of an Age-friendly Implementation Steering Committee.
Read more about the Communauté rurale de Cocagne’s age-friendly journey here.