Municipalité régionale de Tracadie
One Page Action Summary
The Wellness Movement is pleased to recognize the Municipalité régionale de Tracadie for their leadership and commitment in becoming an Age-Friendly Community (AFC) where seniors are supported to thrive. Here are the steps the Municipalité régionale de Tracadie took to become recognized as an Age-Friendly Community, categorized under the 4 basic steps of the World Health Organization (WHO):
- Secure community commitment by having the municipality, rural community or local service district (LSD) officially commit to the AFC approach.
- Age-Friendly Community initiative approved by Municipality in March 2013.
- Establish an Age-Friendly Steering Committee and find support in order to actively engage the community and in particular seniors.
- An Age-Friendly Steering Committee was formed in 2012.
- A coordinator was assigned to the Age-Friendly Community project to ensure the viability of the project and the achievement of the objectives of the action plan.
- Conduct an age-friendly assessment in consultation with the community and seniors.
- Public consultations were held with the senior population with consultant Vanessa Haché of VH Consultants to develop a strategic plan.
- Establish a comprehensive action plan, including measures, that responds to the needs identified by seniors in the community.
- Senior-related activities and information sessions are offered annually as per the strategic plan.
- The Age-Friendly Community committee consults with stakeholders/senior related organizations regularly.
- April 2017, the Municipalité régionale de Tracadie adopted a Seniors Policy, one of the important objectives of the Age-Friendly Community Action Plan.
- Objectives of the Age-Friendly Community Action Plan include:
- Quality housing
- Improved access to commercial and public buildings
- Improved transportation for seniors
- Creating a safe community for seniors
- Recognizing the contribution of seniors to the community
- Including seniors in the political life of the community
- Promoting the transfer of knowledge and experience of seniors
- Offering a dynamic program of activities
- Encouraging communication
- Creating appropriate places to hold activities for seniors
Read more about the Municipalité régionale de Tracadie’s age-friendly journey here.