City of Moncton
One Page Action Summary
The Wellness Movement is pleased to recognize the City of Moncton for their leadership and commitment in becoming an Age-Friendly Community (AFC) where seniors are supported to thrive. Here are the steps the City of Moncton took to become recognized as an Age-Friendly Community, categorized under the 4 basic steps of the World Health Organization (WHO):
- Secure community commitment by having the municipality, rural community or local service district (LSD) officially commit to the AFC approach.
- Age-Friendly Community initiative approved by Municipality in December 2014.
- Establish an Age-Friendly Steering Committee and find support in order to actively engage the community and, in particular, seniors.
- Age-Friendly Steering Committees were formed in: 2004, 2008, and 2009.
- Conduct an age-friendly assessment in consultation with the community and seniors.
- Mayor’s Seniors Advisory Committee hosted first annual International Day of Older Persons reception in 2006.
- Seniors’ Needs Survey conducted in 2012 in collaboration with the Université de Moncton and Mount Allison University. A total of 370 surveys were distributed, and 289 older adults completed the surveys.
- Establish a comprehensive action plan, including measures, that responds to the needs identified by seniors in the community.
- Launch of Senior-Friendly Business Program and unveiling of senior-friendly logo in June 2011.
- Results of Seniors’ Needs Survey used to develop 5-Year Senior-Friendly Community Action Plan, which was approved by City Council in December 2014.
- Submitted application to the World Health Organization’s Global Network of Age-Friendly Cities and Communities in December 2014.
- Accepted in WHO Global Network of Age-friendly Cities and Communities in March 2015.
- Hosted series of Seniors’ Café Chats in 2015 to keep older adults informed on important issues.
- Creation of seniors’ email distribution list in 2016.
- Mayor’s Seniors Advisory Committee hosted Seniors’ Symposiums in 2012, 2016 and will host again in 2017.
- Continuing to implement 5-Year Senior-Friendly Community Action Plan.
- Continuing to host 2-3 Senior-Friendly Business orientation sessions, Senior-Business Day and Senior-Friendly Business Recertification Ceremony annually.
- Continuing to host annual International Day of Older Persons Reception.
Read more about the City of Moncton’s age-friendly journey and watch their video here.